As Jamaicans would say, mi get style.
I started this blog not only to provide details on and some context for Jamaican- American experiences, but also to put myself out there. Yet in doing so, I’ve encountered some of the most entrepreneurial, innovative, enterprising, dedicated, and forward-thinking people in the world today. All within the span of a couple weeks. In short, I got shown up.
I began to think, what the heck am I doing with my life?!?
So, in 12 ‘easy’ steps, I came to the decision to make my life what I want it to be:
- Realize you’re doing WAY too much, and think what’s the point of all this any way.
- Have a mini-meltdown when you realize you have micro-management issues.
- Talk to your mentors! They’re awesome people!
- Make granola! (Thanks Laura!)
- Eat said granola with local, organic yogurt from your co-op and blended organic frozen fruit (YUUUM!)
- Tweet, watch TED talks, read articles, and be reminded that you’re doing a lot, but again, what’s the point of it all?
- Have another mini-meltdown, #overwhelmed.
- Cultivate the desire to watch Hancock, ’cause he turned out well right?
- Sleep off 7. AND 8.
- Make more granola!!!! (Again, thanks go out to Civilized Caveman and Lauren from Oatmeal with a Fork!!!)
- Sit down, stop moping, and seriously think about what the heck you want your life to look like and why. #3in1
- Own that life.
Twelve relatively easy steps? I had a good laugh at myself along the way 🙂 .
But on a more serious note, we all get told to be the change we want to see. Hopefully, there’s a moment in your life sooner or later when you realize that you actually can be that change. Regardless of limited resources, obstacles or fears. You can build your life the way you want it to be if you’re willing to put in the work.
I’ve been reading articles and tweets and watch videos from great forward-thinkers, young and old. Maya Penn, Tereza Nemessanyi, Chelsea Krost, Danny Rubin, The Levo League, The Daily Muse, Buffer. You know what they all have in common? They have a dream, a concept, a desire. They are working to bring it to fruition.
I intend to do the same.
Make your life happen. And eat some granola 🙂 .